I’m excited to announce my newest series of online Zoom classes, coming soon for the holiday season!
Peter Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker is the quintessential piece of classical music for Christmas. In normal times, I imagine many of you would be headed to a theater to see a version in person. Alas, probably not this year. But your kids can still have a wonderful experience learning about this amazing work that has lasted for decades.
I designed A Kid’s Guide to The Nutcracker with kids in mind, which means simple plot summaries, easy-to-follow listening tips, and a fun exercise called musical sketching to help children enjoy the music in a more engaged way.
This online course includes the back story on how The Nutcracker came to be, listening tips and plot points to take you through the story, bonus content to show your kids how the music of The Nutcracker shows up on all kinds of unexpected places. Plus printable sketching pages, a listening checklist, and all the content in a downloadable PDF for you paper people (I get it.) Non-paper people can teach the entire course straight from your phone!
Your one-time tuition gives you immediate access to all this PLUS three live Zoom classes where we will unpack the content together. We will also enjoy singing and learning about some classic Christmas carols!
Zoom classes will be on three consecutive Tuesdays at 10am (Mountain Time):
- December 1st, 2020
- December 8th, 2020
- December 15th, 2020
Classes last between 30-45 minutes and will be recorded if you cannot attend live.
Age Range: This is a little tricky, because kids vary greatly in their interest and attention level. I will say roughly K5-5th grade. But that’s a rough estimate. You might find older and younger siblings listening in.
Eligibility: If you have ever purchased A Kid’s Guide to the Nutcracker, you are in! Simply email me at kristi(at)kristihillmusic(dot)com to let me know what email address you used to purchase the curriculum. I will confirm your purchase and add you to the Zoom list. That’s it! (If you have not previously purchased the curriculum, you will automatically be added to the Zoom list after purchase. No need to email.)
Preparation: All participants will receive a syllabus email prior to each Tuesday class. That email will include all you need to have your kids ready to go for class.
Come join us! I can’t wait to see your kids in class!
BONUS: Books Make Everything Better
- The Nutcracker tells the story with minimal text and lush illustrations.
- Ella Bella Ballerina: The Nutcracker is from author James Mayhew – one of my favorites. Little Ella is transported into famous ballets. (Other titles include Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella.)
- This version of The Nutcracker is based on George Balanchine’s NYC ballet. More gorgeous illustrations and heavier on text.
- Have a middle grades reader? The Toymaker’s Apprentice is a fun re-telling of the traditional story.
- Peter Tchaikovsky from the Getting to Know the World’s Composers series will provide your child with interesting facts about the composer’s life.
- Tchaikovsky Discovers America tells the story of his first trip to the U.S.
- Ever wondered how The Nutcracker became such a big deal in America? The Nutcracker Comes to America will tell you the story.
I will see you in class, my friends!